Simple Steps to Reduce Food Waste
Food waste costs Irish households nearly €1 billion every year – approximately €700 could be saved by every family in Ireland if they reduced their food waste.
At Green Isle, we believe in limiting your food waste, so we’ve done all the prepping, slicing, and chopping for you. You can use exactly as much as you need, when you need it, before putting the rest back into the freezer for the next mealtime. Enjoy all the nutrition and taste with none of the food waste.
Here are some simply steps that Irish Households can follow to help reduce Food Waste
1. Think before you shop
- Make a list – it saves time and money.
- Check what is in your fridge and freezer.
- Shop with meals for the week ahead in mind.
2. Use or lose your food
- 60% of us end up throwing away fresh food because it’s passed its ‘use-by’ date.
- Substitute fresh products with frozen alternatives like Frozen Fruits, vegetables and Fish, use what you need plus you don’t have to worry about use by dates and it will save you money.
3. Love your Freezer
- The freezer is your friend for meal planning and family meal solutions.
- You can plan ahead and pack your freezer in with home-made meals, fresh and frozen ingredients to quick and tasty meals when needed.
- Use your freezer wisely and you can store all the vital ingredients for time and money-saving meals.
4. Love your leftovers
- More than half of households say they throw away food because they’ve cooked too much.
- Use leftover to prepare and store meals for the week ahead, a smart way to make sure you eat everything you buy.